BABY/INFANT (OFTEN INCORRECTLY TRANSLATED “CHILD”)
Unlearned, lacking knowledge, immature (“Adult” therefore, would mean “fully knowledgable”)
- An adult (full-grown man) is used for those who have full knowledge of Jesus. An infant is used for those who have not arrived at full knowledge.
Ephesians 4:13-14 (MKJV) And this until we all come into the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a full-grown man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 so that we no longer may be infants, tossed to and fro and carried about by every wind of doctrine…
- Infant is used for “not knowing God.”
Galatians 4:1, 8 (MKJV) But I say, Over so long a time the heir is an infant, he does not differ from a slave, though being lord of all; Verse 8) But then, indeed, not knowing God, you served as slaves to those not by nature being gods.
- Baby is used interchangeably with “foolish, blind, those in darkness.”
Romans 2:19-20 (MKJV) and persuading yourselves to be a guide of the blind, a light to those in darkness [not seeing]; 20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes..
- Infant is used for not seeing Jesus (our mirror, 2 Cor. 3:18) clearly. A man (adult) is used for someone who sees Jesus fully.
1 Corinthians 13:11-12 (MKJV) When I was an infant, I spoke as an infant, I thought as an infant, I reasoned as an infant. But when I became a man, I did away with the things of an infant. 12 For now we see in a mirror [Jesus] dimly [like an infant], but then face to face [fully, like a man]. Now I know in part [like an infant], but then I shall fully know [like a man] even as I also am fully known.
- Baby is used for those who are not spiritually minded, but needing simple truths.
1 Corinthians 3:1-2 (MKJV) And I, brothers, could not speak to you as to spiritual ones, but as to fleshly, as to babes in Christ. 2 I have fed you with milk [meaning simple] and not with solid food, for you were not yet able to bear it; nor are you able even now.
- Baby is used as the opposite of “wise and prudent.”
Luke 10:21 (NKJV) In that hour Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes.