THE SEA/THE DEEP
Under the earth, underworld (Hell is either the name for the sea or is part of the sea).
- Paul quotes “the sea” as referring to where Christ went after He died (under the earth)
Deuteronomy 30:13 (KJV) Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
Romans 10:7 (KJV) Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
- Jonah is thrown into the sea (as a symbol of Jesus) and calls it symbolically, Hell [Sheol]. He implies it is under the earth as well.
Jonah 2:2-3 (KJV) And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.  For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me. Verse 6 I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.
- Moses sings about the Egyptians sinking in the sea which is symbolic of the Lord’s enemies being thrown under the earth [Sheol].
Exodus 15:1 (KJV) … I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea. Verse 5 The depths have covered them: they sank into the bottom as a stone. Verse 12 Thou stretchedst out thy right hand, the earth swallowed them.
- The waters are said to be BENEATH the earth.
Deuteronomy 4:18 (KJV) The likeness of any thing that creepeth on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the waters beneath the earth:
- The sea is referred to as having bars and doors (as in Jonah 2:2-3) and also having gates to death. It is also called the “shadow of death.”
Job 38:8-11, 16 (KJV) Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb?  When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it,  And brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors,  And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed? Verse 16 Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?  Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death?
- The sea contains the dead (death and Hell may be two parts of the sea – opinion).
Revelation 20:13 (KJV) And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Revelation 21:1 (KJV) And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.